SWIMMING ALONE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- Does Cathy Banks remind you of anyone you know?
- Would you have taken the same risks as Cathy if placed in her circumstances?
- When are Cathy’s fears justified? When does she truly have an overactive imagination?
- Is Aunt Bobbie justified in being less than forthcoming with Cathy?
- The author planted many clues for her readers. Which clues did you pick up on as you were reading Swimming Alone?
- Mansfield has also attempted to misdirect her readers with a number of red herrings. Which red herrings did you spot, and which were most effective?
- Beach Point is a fictional town, but based on the author’s childhood memories of vacationing is Rhode Island. Does it remind you of any places that you have visited?
- Was there a scene that you found particularly memorable or suspenseful?
Do you have a question you would add to this list? If so, please contact me using the form below.